STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Kosmos Chapter 15

It has never been a surprise to see how something in the distant past caused such a drastic change in the world today. If we had of remained an isolationist country and not fought in World War I or II would we be even close to the superpower we are today? I think not nor would I have seen us get out of the Great Depression as quickly. The author is right about the assumption of how bad things will turn if we do not find another alternate fuel source. However, if OPEC and the Middle Eastern monarchies did not hoard or monopolize their oil so much gas prices would be much cheaper. Also, there is still lots of oil in Alaska and off the coast of Florida that we refuse to drill because of fear to harm the environment (as well as tourism in the Florida case). Should these three things happen, we might have enough time to find that alternate source of energy that we can begin to transition into the primary source.

Sometimes we look at too short term of a view and not at the grand scheme of things. Many wars have claimed the lives of humans but did not something good emerge from thence? Mind you I do not believe every war did but at least the American Revolution, Civil War, World War II, and countless others in the past. What about the Great Depression? Did that not lead to numerous bank and stock market reforms that will in turn save more lives should the market crash again? I do not believe in the "gloom and doom" approach. There will definately be a tomorrow and I truly believe we can find that "miracle missing variable" to put things back on track. We all knew this planet would not live forever but no it is not in our near future. Gas prices are making my life miserable but I will know to buy a fuel-efficient car next time as opposed to my gas guzzling Dodge Ram.

So if a tiny rock still cause a rinkel in the pond then us doing some good now will cause better things in the future. To think otherwise merely gives an excuse to do nothing. The apocalypse will certainly come....just not anytime in the near future......(I hope)....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home