STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ender's Game

To quote the movie Ironman, "Some people say the best weapons are those you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I believe the best weapons are those you only have to fire once." This ideology fits perfectly with the novel Ender's Game. It is shown how in life the strong will pick on the weak until the weak become stronger than the strong. It is a to kill or be killed mentality that thrives in the book. Ender learns after killing Bonzo that there are no rules in war and that winning at all cost is the only truth. Ender is constantly manipulated by the International Fleet to defeat an enemy they deemed to still be hostile. The one thing I will say is that if an army invaded me twice I would expect a third as well. But I digest...

It is funny to see how many allusions you could make to the fact Ender is "the child who should not have been" who happens to be the most brilliant and saves the world. Sounds oddly similar right? I will let yall make the connection. But something you cannot blame Ender for is the fact he believed it all to be a simulation or game. I know that when I used to play first person shooters I always believed the best strategy was not using strategy but merely charging in and shooting everything that moved. He adopted the same mentality as if it were a first person shooter except it sadfully was real life. He accomplished complete and total victory but at what cost? Another thing to think about is yes the Queen Bugger said they would never invade again because humans were sentient beings but whose to ever say that's true. The one survivor could be making that up but for the morality sake and sake of the lesson we will say she was honest.

I thought this book was very intriguing and I enjoyed it. Would I have read it now without it being assigned? Probably not because I am no longer a big reader of science fiction (I've seemed to have limited my reading to college football related media) but it was a nice change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home