STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ender's Game

I absolutely loved Ender’s Game. I’m actually considering buying the sequel from Barnes and Noble (anyone read it?). I think it is interesting that this book implies that the cause for war is lack of communication and understanding between the two parties. I saw that at as a clear theme, and I knew that the buggers were not really “bad guys.” Yet, at the same time, I was still uneasy about the ending. I wondered if Ender should really give the buggers a second chance. I guess this is a cynical view, but I just feel like humans have enough trouble understanding each other without disagreeing with more powerful beings who are unable to properly communicate with us.


As far as the tie in with technology, in this book, technology is used for self preservation and manipulation. The army is using every new technology to destroy the buggers or prevent the buggers from destroying humans. All other technologies in the book are used to manipulate children, especially Ender. From the monitor to the video game with the giant to the supposed simulation game that destroys the buggers, technology is used to monitor and control.


Ironically enough, there is a theme of war as a game in this novel. When Ender is a child, he and Peter play astronauts and buggers. However, the game is more than a game because it represents the real war that has been waging for years. It is also more than a game because Peter is actually violent and wants to cause Ender injury or death. As the story progresses, Ender begins to see that the games in his life are really more than games, that they are controlled and that they lead to death (Stilson and Bonzo). Unfortunately, Ender doesn’t come to this full realization in time, and he destroys the buggers in what he believes is a game.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger T. F. said...

I'm so glad you liked it. It took me a long time to find a sci-fi book that speaks to nearly everyone. I would definitely read the sequels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home