STS-Summer I

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Weekly discussion question

I think that our current relationship with technology is much more likely to lead towards war then towards peace. I think that this was backed up very well by chapter 15, and the discussion about cheap energy and the problems that we will have in the not too distant future. I agree with this point for a number of reasons. I have been hearing now for a long time that we are running out of oil, and since we are so dependent on oil I think that there is a great likelyhood that we would go to war to get more oil. Especially since we as a country believe that we are so strong and virtually untouchable. Then if it goes the other way and we do start to run out of energy we will not be able to simply give up our comforts and lifestyles which would lead to even more fighting and chaos, not just around the world but here at home. I thought it was interesting to in Ch. 15 that if technology fails us and we do run out of energy 2/3 of the worlds population would die, and I also agree with his thought that if some other country was about to under why wouldn't they nuke us, they would have nothing left to lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home