STS-Summer I

Monday, June 09, 2008

Chapter 10- Pastor Dan

This article raises a lot of questions, especially the kind that can’t be answered. I like the quote by Paul because it does not deny that humanity is imperfect and seemingly waiting for something. Maybe what we are all waiting for is understanding.

Kant wonders why a benevolent God would create a universe like the one we live in. When I ask myself this question (as I frequently do), I always come back to the concept of human choice. According to the Bible, God have humans the freedom to choose between good and evil. I don’t think, as Kant does, that it is necessarily that humans can’t determine what is good but more that they don’t always choose to follow what is good.

Often, we allow ourselves to get so boggled down in facts and politics and science that we don’t listen to our consciences anymore. It is like intuition; you can’t explain it, but it doesn’t lead you in the wrong direction very often. Instead of making pro-con lists and trying to reason everything out, it is sometimes good to go with that gut feeling. Until humanity is able to listen to that internal sense of what is right and conquers human selfishness, it is unlikely science will ever be able to be used for the benefit of all (rather than of a small minority).

Also, I am reminded of one of my own person beliefs. Sometimes, bad things happen for good reasons. It is hard to understand the big picture when we can only see a piece of it. Perhaps, it isn’t until the end (whatever that may be) that humanity will understand what it was all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home