STS-Summer I

Sunday, May 25, 2008

CH 12: Shattered Skies

I actually learned a lot from this chapter. I always love when I really learn something truly interesting in something I read because I am a born teacher. I love to tell everyone I know when I have learned something new. The first thing I did after reading this chapter was explain the things I learned to my sister, who is 24. I think it is interesting how this authour takes things from everyday life and teaches unknown lessons about them. Who were to ever think that just thinking about the carbonation in a hot can of soda would lead you all the way to the ozone, refridgerators, and greenhouse gases! Also, I personally would never have guessed the creation of refridgerators to have caused any type of ozone damage. I think this chapter has really manage to explain the evolution of certain things we commonly use today. Starting all the way back with black powder we eventually discovered different things to create cannons, guns, and refrigerators.

This chapter also can relate to what we are talking about with science and technology. Before we knew that chlorine destroys the ozone, we commonly used it in our refridgerators. We thought it to be harmless and a great tool. But as the world evolved so did our thinking and technology. We then realized the damage it was doing to our ozone and quickly changed pace. The changes in our science and technology have proven to be useful in this case. Our growing knowledge has helped to stop a growing problem. My favorite part of this chapter was the end when everything came together. To think that one day the oceans could boil and we could have another "Great Dying". And also to think that all of these conclusions came just from the idea that a warm soda gives off a good amount of carbon dioxide. Amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home