STS-Summer I

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Class Discussion Question 2

External technology has a serious impact on the internal life of most people in society today. Without even realizing that it has happened, we have become dependent upon computers, air conditioning, cars, and other technological advances. At least a dozen times in the day I am distracted during a conversation with thoughts about adjusting the thermostat, checking my e-mail, or some similar absorption with technology. In addition, I am able to keep in closer contact with people I care about because of the ease of computers for e-mail and the convenience of travel by car or plane, which makes it easier to live a significant distance away from most of those people who are important to me. So in some ways technology divides my attention away from people (in conversations) and in other ways it brings me closer to them. Another significant way in which external technology effects my internal life is through health. I swim year-round, which would not be possible in New Hampshire without the benefits of a heated pool. I also take medicine when I am sick to help me feel better sooner and enjoy the benefits of many other modern advances in medicine. I think that the ways in which my internal life is effected by external technology are vast but also depend on the perspective one takes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home