STS-Summer I

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Summer 07 Kosmos Chapter 1

As much as I respect the scientific method and science in general, I was rather amused when the chapter told me to "Bestow upon your children the treasure of science and reason, any way that you can. It's the gift that keeps on giving for the rest of their lives." Science and reason can't always give you all the answers. At some point science and reason will always leave you with more questions or a paradox that you can't solve in your lifetime, so you have to make a choice but your gut, emotions, or other things that methodical in nature. Science and reason aren't the only "seeds" that need to be planted for preservation. Those things are great, sure, but what about music, art, friendship, love, and so forth? I'm not for the slaughter of the golden scientific goose, but I don't see a problem with plucking it sometimes if you end up with a cozy comforter to make people happier too.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger T. F. said...

B, I'm curious as to why you see science as an **alternative** to the things you listed. Do you have reason to believe that the author sees them that way? I think he'd see science as something that supports and augments those things, or at least should be understood in order to protect them.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger B.Me said...

Hm, well, he didn't really mention that sort of thing (music, art, etc) very much... at least not that I noticed. When reading that article, I got the impression that the author prized science and reason just a wee bit higher than other less reasonable or methodical things, because he doesn't add that we should "bestow upon our children the treasure of beauty, music, etc. It's the gift that keeps on giving for the rest of their lives." Are these things not treasures too?

I'll look back over my Kosmos file when I switch back to the computer later tomorrow (I'm on the road right now), so I can't cite exact lines at the moment, but the article just seemed science heavy when I was going through it.

That was the article that brought up evolution and intelligent design arguments right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home