STS-Summer I

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Continuum of Natural and Technological

I place myself on the continuum of natural and technological at a 5. I was created by God and therefore my body and being is completely natural (naturally created). However, in everyday life, I communicate with people through technology (ex. this internet course). I use technological materials such as phones, cars, credit cards, T.V, etc. These technological materials get me through daily routines.
Society is becoming more and more technological and in order to succeed, I must become more technologically advanced than would be necessary in earlier times. I believe technology is good for the most part. I also believe there needs to be a balance between natural and technological in order for humanity to remain personable and enjoy the benefits of technology at the same time.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger T. F. said...

FYI, usually in discussions of technology and science, god is considered supernatural i.e. not natural and not technological. I'm not saying that you can't consider yourself inherently natural, but you do need another reason than because you were created by god.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger B.Me said...

But that's just the usual way... no one ever said it was right or wrong.

If creation myths and god-figures appear in nearly every human civilization throughout history, even the very primitive ones, then couldn't that be considered a example of a "natural belief" if you wanted to look at it that way? I'm not sure that being created by god is any more inherently supernatural than being created by a big bang where no one knows where the matter of the universe came from, why it was compacted (ie, why gravity works that way) and why it finally went "boom."

I thought it was just an opinion question... after all, who knows what really counts or doesn't count for "natural" points? Is it wearing all natural fibers in your clothes? Eating organic food (that's still bought and sold in giant super markets and packaged in wasteful plastic bags, etc)? Not going to school? Going to school, but walking there? Barefoot? On sidewalks? Or mowed grass lawns?

See what I mean? It gets loony if you let it...

If you make the agreement that god made nature, and god made man, so humans are inherently natural because he made them out of nature (Adam from the dust of the Earth), it isn't really that different from saying that the laws of nature govern the evolution and creation of the universe, including the creation and evolution of humanity, so humans are inherently natural. Is it? (please correct me if I'm way off base here or missing something...)

(I'd like to see more reasons for why she's a 5 too, but I'll buy the original post's explanation also.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home