STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Handmaid's Tale Response 2

"Are there any questions?"

You have GOT to be kidding me! Ok, I tend to like movies and books that have those "open endings," but most of those books and/or movies give you just enough information to know what happened to the character or the rest of the world after that. Now, to tell me that no one knows what happened to Offred at the end is kind of a killer. It's almost as if the author got sick of writing the story and gave us a cop-out at the end of the book. Granted, you are allowed to draw your own conclusions and "create" your own ending, but by putting the lines "maybe she was captured again or killed" doesn't really help the 20th/21st Century mentality of a "happy ending." And then to close it out with the entire story being nothing more than a class discussion? Ok, I get that, but I have yet to meet a teacher who went through an entire story and didnt give an ending. It's like a joke with no punchline. That whole last chapter just killed the book for me. If was an awsome look into the "what could happen" doomsday read that is always fun to read, but, sorry, I can't put it on my favorites list because of the last chapter and line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home