STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Handmaid's Tale Response #1

Ok, I KNOW I am going to catch some flak for this, but hear me out.

To me, Handmaid's Tale sounded a lot like the V for Vendetta graphic novel by Alan Moore. If you havent read it, you should. Basically, the British government has fallen after what is possibly another world war or a nuclear war and a Hilter-eske dictator has taken over the country and instituted widespread martial law. There is censorship everywhere, gays, people of color and non-white decent are put into camps and killed, etc etc. Alcohol is replaced by milk for goodness sake! (Possibly a wink to A Clockwork Orange there, I would think.)

But as far as the "Of" women, and just women in general in this tale, it seems almost the same. Their rights have been taken away, the world is in an "orderly" state and is run by the theology and thoughts of the new reigim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home