STS-Summer I

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chapter 16 - Last Off Ramp Before Armageddon

I definitely understand the underlying concepts behind Kurzweil's "Theory of Singularity".  I would agree that the next step for humans is merging with computers.  For instance, in the movie "I, Robot", Will Smith has an arm that is entirely manmade.  I can even imagine a world as in Orson Scott Card's book "Xenocide" where Ender has a chip implanted in his head that allows him to communicate with a computer.  However, maybe I fall into the category of those who just cannot fathom what the other side of the singularity will be.  I can't imagine Kurzweil's world where humans don't talk, or where we are immortal.  There are so many problems with those thoughts.  Do humans no longer have the need to procreate for fear of overcrowding?

Personally, I don't think there will be or ever was a singularity event.  I feel that humans have the ability to adapt to our surroundings, which is why we are on the top of the food chain.  We have the ability to think, adjust, react, and change.  So it's not so much we that just start acting contrary to previous behavior, but rather we react and adapt to our surroundings.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home