STS-Summer I

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Paper topic

I emailed something along these lines to Dr. Fishman yesterday:

A lot of popular media dealing with the future presents it in dystopian terms (Blade Runner, 1984, etc.). I want to look at why that view has been prevalent, especially in regards to technology. Other than the appeal of constructing a future where everything is not as it seems, what are the authors or filmmakers saying about technology and science? Is there a fear that as we become more technologically advanced, we will lose our humanity?

I plan to look at some of the more well-known dystopian technological fantasies (1984, Brazil, Blade Runner, etc) as well as constrast that with a dystopia that functions in the absence of technology (Lord of the Flies). My thesis isn't formed yet, but it will deal with the reasons why a dystopian future necessarily has to rely on technology to get the moral across.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home