STS-Summer I

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Human "stories"

Bryna,

That is a very good question. I meant for us to come back to it in class--that's why I posted it early in the session--but we didn't, so I appreciate you bringing it up.

What I meant for you to address are the stories that are central to our culture, our identity, and our society. As an example, I'm going to use one that doesn't jump out at me as a technology-influenced story (but there may be technology connections I am not aware of): The Boston Tea Party. The BTP is a story that helps us understand and define who we are--how we think of ourselves. If your topic was communication, there would be a wealth of things to say about the significance of different kinds of communication to that story. The initial tax--how it was developed and how it was communicated to the colonists--all communication related. How it was planned and carried out--all communication related. And perhaps most importantly, how the story was framed and told--completely communication related. So if you look at it through a communication "lens" this story is really all about communication.

For this paper, I want you to look through a technology lens. There are many, many of our stories that are really all about technology--either for the good or for the bad. Every modern war, for instance, had key elements decided by technology. 9/11 can be a story about technology. Christopher Reeves, our past two presidential elections and global warming are all examples that come immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are countless others.

I hope that helps. If you want to talk more about this, please post here so everyone can participate in the discussion. Thanks again for getting us started.

T. F.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger B.Me said...

Just a small correction... I didn't ask that question, NatalieBlakely did, although I'm glad to know the answer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home