STS-Summer I

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Last Off-Ramp Before Armageddon

The rate that humans are developing in regards to our technology and knowledge is growing at exponential rates. And it is possible that Ray Kurzweil's predictions could one day be right. But in my opinion, I don't see technology getting as advanced as he thinks it will be. I would have to agree with those who think Kurzweil is being "too generous in expecting continual improvements in all these areas"(230). For technology to excel to the level he is predicting, it seems to be wishful thinking to believe that our trend of success as a society is going to continue at the same rate it has been in the past hundred years. From what I gather from history, all great societies have there day in the spot light, and then fade away into the history books. I just wonder when we our time will be up. Maybe, I too am being a "gloomy Gus", but I don't see our technology excelling mortality. And if it ever does, I couldn't see myself wanting to live that long in this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home